Friday, August 11, 2017

Sacred Sites Update--High Tor NYS DEC Forest and Bears

We were at High Tor (Middle Sex, Naples NY) today working on our survey of the Ledges when we ran into a local land owner who said was having troubles with a bear raiding his bee hives.  I have been going to High Tor for over 10 years and have never seen a bear.

I mention this not to scare you but, to give you a heads up. I always have bear bells on my dogs so that I know where they are and they alert other animals as well. The chances of seeing a bear are extremely remote. 

If you know me well, you know I always say "a good day in the woods is when I don't see anything" (animal--bear, deer, coyote, raccoon......)  



PER THE NYS DEC WEBPAGE

Black Bear Encounters
If you Encounter a Bear:
Never Approach, Surround, or Corner a Bear - Bears aggressively defend themselves when they feel threatened. Be especially cautious around cubs as mother bears are very protective.

Never Run from a Bear- stay calm, speak in a loud and calm voice, slowly back away and leave the area.

Use Noise to Scare away Bears from Your Campsite- yell, clap, or bang pots immediately upon sighting a bear near your campsite.

Do Not Throw Your Backpack or Food Bag at an Approaching Bear

Doing so will only encourage bears to approach and "bully" people to get food.

By teaching a bear to approach humans for food, you are endangering yourself, other campers/residents, and the bears.

No comments: